Thursday 18 October 2018

Budapest - Top 3 Things To Do

Back in August I had the absolute pleasure of spending 5 days in wonderful Budapest.

Originally this holiday was booked because after seeing the line up for Sziget festival, we simply couldn't say no. Having bought our tickets knowing that it would take up the full five nights that we were there, we made sure that there was time for sightseeing in the day, with the occasional and very much needed nap before heading back out to Sziget!

As many of you will know, I am open to travelling anywhere, particularly if it's somewhere I have never been before.

I don't know about you but I feel like certain city break destinations come in and out of 'style'. More people are booking weekends away to Budapest, Vienna and Prague for example. It's been quite a while since I heard someone say they're off to Paris for the weekend.

That being said, I guess I have kinda fallen in this crowd of trying somewhere new, but I am so glad that I did.

I wish we could have stayed a little longer, or even had a night off from Sziget in order to see the sights at night. But with the line up being so perfect, there wasn't a single night that we could have missed.

So we might not have got round to doing everything Budapest has to offer, but here are my top 3 to help you plan your trip.

1. Go to Sziget Festival



I know I have done nothing but bang on about Sziget already but it is honestly amazing! So much so that I am going to dedicate a full post to it, but a brief summary for now will have to do.

Having attended a festival in Portugal and a fair few in the UK I thought I would have an idea of what it would be like. I clearly didn't and it completely blew my mind.


You can either get tickets for the full week, yes seven days of amazing artists, or you can get tickets to suit you.

Even if you just got for the day it is something I would recommend to everyone. The line up is also so varied that there is bound to be someone you like playing.


Only problem if you do want to go to Sziget festival, you best get planning your trip to Budapest between Wednesday 7 August and Tuesday 13 August 2019.

2. Visit a Ruin Bar


This was something that my friend Becky mentioned she wanted to do and I'm so glad we did. After researching the area that was around us on one of our tourist days out, we realised we were very close to Szimpla Kert Bar.


There are so many different parts to these bars it's hard to know were to start.

From bars based on the periodic table, to seats made out of tyres and what can only be described as a tropical greenhouse in the middle of it all.


It's a hoarder's dream come true with so much to see. Plus the burgers were incredible.


The ruin bars are something you have to make time to do, even if it is just for a quick pint.

3. Spend your day at a Thermal Bath and Spa



The thermal baths were something I heard about before leaving for Budapest. It was one of these activities that I kind of thought yeah it'll be great if we get time to do it, but also no worries if not.

I had no idea what to expect. I've been to baths in Turkey where they do the whole scrubbing thing, fit in a message and also dunk yourself into a freezing cold pool. But when I also heard the word, 'sparty' I had an inkling that it would be something very different from that.

I would say it is a mix between lounging around your normal hotel pool and spending the day at Ibiza Rocks hotel. Everyone was there to just relax and have a good time. And a lot of people had the same idea as us, Thermal Bath in the day, Sziget at night.

The only thing I would suggest is paying slightly more to have your own area to get changed, because once it comes to drying off and attempting to put your clothes back on, there is not a lot of privacy!

Don't get me wrong, we did so much more in Budapest such as visiting the Castle District, Great Synagogue and touring the city on a hop on, hop off bus. But if I had to pick, I would do my top 3 things all over again!

You might also like:

Top 3 Things to do in Altea

September Round Up

August Round Up

No comments: